Saturday, April 24, 2010
• Saturday, May 1 LB Daytime Special Event: Jane’s Walk – Old Oakland
Walk through what was once the western terminus of the Transcontinental Railroad!
10:00am - 1:00pm
Begins at Ratto's and Ends at La Borinquena which also includes more about Jane Jacobs and who she has inspired, walkers can purchase copies of the just-released book “What We See: Advancing the Observations of Jane Jacobs”. Co-editor of the book, Lynne Elizabeth, will be joining the Walk and signing books at LB.
• Wednesday, May 5 LB at Twilight Special Event: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta 5-9pm
Join us to commemorate the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle of Puebla in 1862! Negra Modelo Draft & Bacon Hot Dog Specials $3 each
• Friday, May 7 First Friday Art Reception 5-9pm featuring paintings by Joaquín Alejandro Newman of Forrealism: A Vision of the Future of Indigenous Art. Co-founded at the turn of the Century by fellow mixed indian artists Joaquín Alejandro Newman, Sean Levon Nash and Jason Barnes, this movement seeks to deconstruct racial barriers in order to construct cultural bridges toward a greater indigenous consciousness. Chocolate tasting provided by the Oakland Chocolate Company providing high quality, delicious chocolates while also serving as a model, worker-owned cooperative whose farmer members in the Parish of St. Mary, Jamaica, are linked to the candy makers in Oakland.
• Saturday, May 8 LB at Twilight Special Event: Fair Trade Shopping with Mangosteen
Get a last minute gift for Mother's Day or buy something nice for yourself! Mangosteen will be presenting handicrafts from Fair Trade certified providers and survivors of human trafficking at a special one-night sale event. http://www.mangosteenoakland.com/
• Friday May 14 4th Annual Oakland Indie Awards Party at Jack London Square
Join La Borinqueña along with over 20 different Oakland restaurants, local beer, wine, tea, coffee, and chocolate, DJ spinning Oakland music, cool products from Oakland Unwrapped stores, and more! Buy Tickets: http://indieawards.eventbrite.com/ LB at Twilight open from 5-9pm that night too!